Seared Halibut with Summer Vegetables
Seared Halibut with Summer Vegetables (great for all phases)
- 4 spring onions or large scallions, bulbs separated from tops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¾ pound assorted summer squash (2 small), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ teaspoons thyme leaves plus 2 sprigs
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 8-ounce skinless halibut fillets
Cut onion bulbs in half lengthwise. Cut the tops/dark green parts into 2-inch pieces to measure ½ cup. Heat 1½ teaspoons of oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the bulbs, cut side down, and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the squash and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Add the onion tops and cooked onion bulbs and the 1½ teaspoons of fresh thyme. Cook for an additional minute, or until the onion tops are slightly wilted. Transfer vegetable mixture to a plate.
Season the halibut with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet, along with the sprigs of thyme, and cook until the fish is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking about 2 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and opaque in the center. Divide vegetable mixture among plates and top with halibut. Serve immediately.